July 14, 2017
Gathering of Canoes
This summer, you are invited to witness a traditional landing of the Pulling Together Canoe Journey. During a 10-day journey along traditional highways from the Sunshine Coast to the City of Vancouver, up to 30 canoes—with First Nations, Public Service Agencies and youth paddlers—will request permission to land on the traditional territories of the Musqueam, Squamish and Tsleil-Waututh First Nations. Bring your friends and family to an afternoon feast and celebratory gathering. Cheer on the Skippers and Canoe Families as they paddle to their next stop at Ambleside in West Vancouver.
- Date: July 14, 2017
- 10:00am Canoes leave Ambleside
- 11:00pm Event starts at Vanier Park, canoes in sight
- 11:30am – 12:00pm Arrival of canoes, canoe landing protocol
- 12:00pm – 12:45pm Lunch is provided for canoe pullers
- 12:45pm – 1:20pm:
- • Welcome to guests and canoe pullers
- • Traditional songs by the three Host Nations and invited dance groups
- • Remarks from dignitaries about their canoe experience
- 1:20pm – 4:00pm Entertainment
- 4:00pm Event Ends
- Location: Journey from the Sunshine Coast to Vancouver with a landing at Vancouver’s Vanier Park.
- Address: 1000 Chestnut St, Vancouver, BC